STATION 3 Jesus Falls the First Time


Station 3: Jesus falls the first time under the Cross 

V. We adore Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, and bless Thee. 
R. Because by Thy holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world. 


The Mystery 

This third Station represents how our Lord Jesus Christ, overwhelmed by the weight of the Cross, fainting through loss of blood, falls to the ground the first time. 

Contemplate the unwearied patience of the meek Lamb, amidst the insulting blows and curses of His brutal executioners; while you, impatient in adversity and infirmity, presume to complain, nay, to insult the Majesty of Heaven, by your curses and blasphemies. Purpose here firmly to struggle against the impatient sallies of temper; and beholding your amiable Jesus prostrate under the Cross, excite in yourself your Saviour, for love of you, was burdened, and thus you afflicted Jesus: 


Prayer 

Alas, my Jesus! the merciless violence of Thy inhuman executioners, the excessive weight of the Cross, or rather the more oppressive load of my sins, crush Thee to the earth. Panting for breath, exhausted as Thou art, Thou dost not refuse new tortures for me. Will I then refuse the light burden of Thy commandments; will I refuse to do violence to my perverse passions and sinful attachments; will I relapse into those very crimes for which I have shed false and delusive tears! O Jesus! stretch Thy holy hand to my assistance, that I may never more fall into mortal sin; that I may at the hour of my death secure the important affair of my salvation. Amen, Jesus. 

Our Father, Hail Mary & Glory be 

Jesus Christ crucified, have mercy on us! 

From loss of blood He fell unto the ground, 
No comfort for my Lord was to be found, 
He rose again beneath their cruel blows, 
And on His bitter way unmurmering goes.