Novena to the Precious Blood


Honoring the 7 bloodsheddings of Jesus Christ :

1.  Circumcision.
2.  Agony in the Garden.
3.  Scourging.
4.  Crowning with thorns.
5.  Carrying of the cross. 
6.  Crucifixion.
7.  The piercing of His Heart. 

Lord, Thou bearest me written in Thy Hands in letter of indelible red which are Thy Holy Wounds, and to inspire me with confidence, Thou gently sayest:  "I have written thee in My Hands with the marks of My most Holy Wounds."

Therefore, will I ever say to Thee:  "Read, Lord Jesus, read that handwriting and save me through Thy Precious Blood."

O Sacred Heart of Jesus, I have asked Thee for many favors, but I plead for this one.

Take it, place it in Thine open, broken Heart, and when the Eternal Father sees it, covered with the mantle of Thy most Precious Blood, He will not refuse it, if, in His infinite and farseeing wisdom, He sees it is best for my spiritual and temporal welfare.  It is not alone my prayer, but Thine. 


_____

The 7 Bloodsheddings

1.  The Circumcision.  The Circumcision calls me to a life of union with God; "Abide in Me and I in you!"  Jesus receives His name in a Baptism of Blood.  He shares in our human life, that we might share in His Divine Life. 

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

2.  The Agony in the Garden.  The Agony in the Garden shows sin as the destroyer of our life of union with God.  Jesus sweated Blood because He foresaw me rejecting Him for sin.  My many sins have crushed His Bleeding Heart. 

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

3.  The Scouring.  The Scourging warns me against being separated frm union with God, forever in Hell.  As my Savior, He suffers scourges, instead of me who deserves them; to save me from the scourages of sin, both in this world, and in Hell.

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

4.  The Crowing with Thorns.  The Crowing with Thorns counsels mental prayer as a means of preserving my life of union with God.  Spiky thorns almost scalped His Head.  As they crowned Him Fool and bent the knee before Him in mock prayer and worship, what mental sufferings Our Lord endured.

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

5.  The Carrying of the Cross.  The carrying of the Cross emphasizes patience in carrying my cross through life, as the second mens of keeping my life of union with God.  His Cross crushed Him to the ground, old Wounds were widened.  New Wounds were opened in His Hands and Knees.  To carry my cross patiently in union with Him, is my best penance for past sin and the best protection against future sin. 

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

6.  The Crucifixion.  The Crucifixion urges:  never give up the ideal of a life united with God.  Jesus now clings to His Eternal Ideal.  Whenever I am tempted to give up my old ideals of prayer, sacrifice, and purity, I must plead with Him to raise these dead ideals to life. 

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

_____

7.  The Piercing of the Heart.  The Piercing of the Heart inspires me to final perseverance in my life of union with God.  His Love for me persevered until His Heart was emptied unto the last Drop.  "Take courage", He says, "I have overcome the world."  I reply, "Lord, what would Thou have me do?" 

R/. By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, shed seven times, keep me ever united to Thee; save me at death from the agonizing memory of a wasted life. 

From The New Revised Jesus, Mary, Joseph Novena Manual by Fr. Stedman, published by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood, Brooklyn, N.Y.